May 27, 2011

I'll Have What He's Having

Chuck Asay, 5/26/11:
I had a reader request to feature this one, from a reader who I think wants to remain anonymous but was annoyed by the way Asay has his elephant character talk about elections "coming up" while ignoring the one that actually took place Tuesday.

That didn't bother me, honestly. As I noted the first time I commented on Asay's cartoons, back at my other blog a couple of years ago, Asay is one of the great monomaniacs, and there is no problem that cannot (in his mind) be solved by just drilling for oil more places. So this is just yet another expression of pure Asayism.

But it is cute that Asay thinks that the 2012 election will be about drilling for oil, and that the vast American public is going to be strongly in favor of more deepwater wells in places like the Gulf of Mexico. I'm not sure if that's monomania, a cynicism about the American memory, or pure craziness, but I personally doubt "drill, baby, drill" will be more than a side issue a year from now. (Medicare, on the other hand....)

And he still doesn't understand how global markets work, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember that the purpose of Editorial Explanations is to explain and to expand knowledge, rather than to engage in any partisan bickering. All cartoonists are completely correct, in their own worlds.